Thursday, January 30, 2020

4A – Forming An Opportunity Belief


1)    My beginning point. I believe an opportunity exists with poor driving in Florida. This opportunity could provide the state with more intensive driving criteria to pass the driver’s test.

2)    Description of my belief. The unmet need is a more extensive driving education course and test to pass. All drivers in the state of Florida have the need because it also affects other good/bad drivers. This need has existed for a long time, but it’s gotten worse over the years as the state increases its population in general which leads to an increase of drivers on the road. People aren’t doing much to meet this need now since the driver’s test doesn’t change very much over the years. At this point, I am 70% sure that this opportunity exists.

3)    The people that encounter this problem would be people that have to pay for a course to get their license.

4)    Interview #1
Q1: How often do you encounter bad drivers?
A1: I encounter bad drivers all the time, especially in South Florida.
Q2: When did you first become aware of poor drivers?
A2: When I was learning to drive for the first time especially when I started driving on my own. There have been multiple times where I’ve almost been in an accident.
Q3: What are you doing about the issue of poor drivers on the road?
A3: If there’s a big event going on, I try to stay off the road that day. I try to keep my distance from other drivers because I know they can brake fast or swerve in my lane.
Q4: How satisfied are you with your solution for staying safe on the road?
A4: I wish others would be more considerate and smarter when on the road because even though I might be driving safe, other people may still make poor decisions. I’ve seen multiple things happen such as texting and driving and driving drunk.

Interview #2:
Q1: How often do you encounter bad drivers?
A1: Currently at school, I’m not driving, but back at home it’s always a problem. I’m always worried that the people driving their cars here aren’t paying attention to the road and are going to hit me.
Q2: When did you first become aware of poor drivers?
A2: I first became aware of poor drivers at a young age because I witnessed it when my parents were driving.  
Q3: What are you doing about the issue of poor drivers on the road?
A3: I’m being alert when I’m on the road. When I cross any big intersection here at school, I double-check to make sure no one is going.
Q4: How satisfied are you with your solution for staying safe on the road?
A4: It has worked so far, but I feel like something could be done about drivers that don’t pay attention to the road.

Interview #3
Q1: How often do you encounter bad drivers?
A1: Here in Gainesville isn’t as bad as back at home, but there are a lot of students who are not the best drivers.
Q2: When did you first become aware of poor drivers?
A2: I noticed poor drivers more around middle school. While I was taking the bus to school, I remember seeing some accidents on the road.
Q3: What are you doing about the issue of poor drivers on the road?
A3: I wear a helmet whenever I drive my scooter and I try my best to make sure that cars notice me.
Q4: How satisfied are you with your solution for staying safe on the road?
A4: It’s not a permanent solution and it would be better if people could learn how to drive because other people’s lives are at stake.

5)    Overall Reflection: In general, from this interview, people agreed that the state of Florida has a great number of poor drivers meaning there’s an opportunity to implement better education on this matter. The most surprising thing I learned about my opportunity is that there could definitely be another business in driving education which would teach future driver’s safer protocols and it would also make people aware of the laws in place.

6)    Summary: All of my original opportunity has stayed the same after these interviews. My views are still the same after conducting my interviews since the people agreed with my opinion. I do believe that my new opportunity is more accurate when I started because the people, I interviewed thought that something helpful could be done about the poor drivers in Florida as well. I 100% think that entrepreneurs should definitely adapt their opportunities based on customer feedback because new ideas arise from feedback. These ideas could help the entrepreneur come up with even better business solutions.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jacob, great work on your post. I'm from Miami, so trust me I understand how bad the driving can be. I can probably write a 5 paragraph essay on how many times I've almost crashed because of bad drivers. I completely agree that more education is needed and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob,
    This is a great idea but I think that it would certainly be very hard to implement as clearly, the rules of the road have not changed that much over the past couple of years, which is why the test has not changed. Maybe, you could implement something else that has to do with other issues on the road such as texting and driving and awareness on the road. That would be very helpful. This is definitely a huge market as everyone drives.

    ReplyDelete