Friday, April 3, 2020

21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

1)    What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The book I chose to read is called The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users, Guy Kawasaki. The general theme of the book was to guide you through building your social media and gaining followers. After reading this book, I learned how to promote my business on social media. Understanding how social media works and attracting customers on it is such a useful skill to have.
2)    How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I think this book enhanced what I’m learning in ENT 3003 because I’ve learned that marketing is a great way to attract customers. The easiest way to promote your business is by producing advertisements on social media.
3)    If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
The exercise I would design is to create a social media account promoting your business idea and see how many followers you gain as well as how many people interact with your posts. I think students would benefit from this because it is a good learning opportunity on how to build a social media account and get other's attention.
4)    What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I learned that there’s a lot more to social media than just knowing how to open the apps. Businesses take a lot of time to build their social media accounts so that they can gain clout. I had no idea how much more there was to learn about the art of social media!

6 comments:

  1. hey jacob, I should have have checked that one out too. Social media is so powerful in marketing and getting outreach and I find it so useful because you do not have to pay for it at entrance, but you can to increase coverage and outreach. Overall that seems like an amazing book and has nice ideas in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob,
    I didn't read this book but it sounded really interesting. I think that social media is super valuable for a business because you can create a following and interact with customers for free. I think it can be difficult to build a brand on there though because there are so many accounts it can be hard to stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacob,Social media and marketing is extremely important in building a business. I am glad that we learned a lot about in this class because it can really make or break a business. Marketing can change a lot of things and has the power to shape people's beliefs. If it wasnt for marketing, a lot of people wouldnt have died from cigarette smoke or changed their mind about who would win a presidential election.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacob,

    I liked your idea for your exercise in having students create their own new social media account to promote their business idea. I think taking the tips and skills the book mentions and applying it to a real life scenario would show students the importance of marketing and capturing their audience first hand. It would be interesting to see how each student tries to market themselves on a more professional level rather than through vanity or physical appearances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jacob, great job on your post I enjoyed reading it. I think you picked an awesome book to read because in today's day and age our lives are consumed by the internet and social media so I think it's extremely important to learn to use it to our advantage. I also really liked your exercise idea about creating a social media page. I think that could really help us learn to advertise our product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacob,

    Good job on your post. Me and you chose the same book and I think because how influential and important a strong social media platform can benefit someone. Social media allows us to connect to people we will never meet or even see for that matter. It also allows us to see what people around the world are interested in and helps us to improve our idea.

    ReplyDelete